Help, can't completely stop hot water flowing from bath taps!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dilligaf, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Dilligaf

Dilligaf New Member

I need to do some maintenance on the bath shower mixer tap but I cannot get the hot water to shut off completely.

I have fully turned the gate valve off supplying the cylinder from the tank in the loft buy its still flowing slightly from the bathroom taps and doesn't appear to be stopping.

Can anyone tell me what I can do?

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Bung the outlets from the loft tank .
    Gate valves are notorious for not closing fully ,and not opening after closing.
    You could also turn off the mains supply to loft tank ,and run taps to drain it ,but that would waste all your stored hot water.

3. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Turn off main stop valve to house feed and turn on all your hot water taps untill flow stops, if you are lucky you may have a seperate stop valve that just feeds the header tank that you can use instead of turning off main valve

Dilligaf likes this.
  4. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

You could try, if you have not already, closing the gate valve then opening it a few times, with a little water flow through it. It might help. If the valve is difficult to turn, loosen the gland nut a little, it may weep a few drops of water though. Do it up again after until the weeping stops, not so tight you can't still operate the valve.

Dilligaf likes this.
  5. Dilligaf

Dilligaf New Member

Thanks, where can I get these bungs?

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Any decent plumbers merchant. Or make your own from a cork ,or rubber stopper. If all else fails ,a carrot will do it !!

7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I prefer a parsnip!

Dilligaf likes this.
  8. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Sounds like you are making a meal out of it!

Dilligaf and terrymac like this.
  9. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

A wine bottle, do the job and then treat yourself. :)

Dilligaf likes this.
  10. FlyByNight

For 22mm a standard cork might be too small ... a champagne one would be better.

11. Dilligaf

Dilligaf New Member

Hahaha:D;)

12. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If the bathroom is upstairs try opening the hot tap downstairs.
    This may be enough to remove any flow from the bathroom.

BiancoTheGiraffe, Creek and Dilligaf like this.
  13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve ‘bunged’ the tank a couple of times using a rag, twist a corner into a spiral, feed into outlet then ram in with a long screwdriver to compress the cloth (use a decent enough rag / old tea towel that won’t disintegrate when you pull to remove it)!

Have read similar posts on here when a carrot have been suggested but I don’t actually know if the guys or being serious or not ?

My worry would be the carrot getting stuck in the outlet and snapping off and/or getting jammed in the pipe

Was going to buy a set of rubber bungs but can’t justify the cost when I may need one on the very odd occasion

Couple different types out there;

Rubber cone that’s fits a multitude of outlet / pipe sizes. Just ram it in the hole and twist to get a good fit

Also compression type bungs that fit specific pipe sizes. Insert into bung, tighten to compress rubber and form a seal

However, for a one off job, use a rag, or a carrot, parsnip, mouli, cork, etc

Dilligaf likes this.
  14. FlyByNight

The carrot /parsnip is a serious comment ... best putting it in a plastic bag, just in case.

Dilligaf likes this.
  15. Dilligaf

Dilligaf New Member

Excellent suggestions from all of you thanks. I too couldn't warrant buying some rubber bungs for the price they are, I might use the rag method or make something, not so sure about shoving vegetables in the hole, I'll save that one for the missus:D

DIYDave. likes this.
  16. Dilligaf

Dilligaf New Member

Just to update everyone I managed to stop the flow from the tank in the loft by using as someone suggested a cork, job done and thanks everyone for your comments and help.

17. FlyByNight

What's the difference between carrot, parsnip, cork? They are all vegetable matter!