Which water based paint is best for Bannisters?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Don1, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Don1

Don1 New Member

Good evening, Im a DIY newbie & like painting and am trying to do my bannisters and skirting. Been looking for a few days which top coat to use Bedec Aqua Advance keeps coming up time and time again as the 'one' but the forum was from quite a few years ago. is it easy to paint with and what paint would you use, Do I need a special paint brush? Is there a certain way to paint to ensure good finish?

Thanks in advance

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Prime bare wood. Treat knots.
    Follow application data sheet for the paint.
    So many different paints you just need to pick one.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If the wood is not bare and has a previously varnished finish it will require a coat of Zinsser BIN high adhesion primer to aid adhesion of the new paint over the varnish. BIN is available in an aerosol can for ease of application, after you can apply an undercoat and two top coats of your chosen eaterbase paint colour using a synthetic brush.

4. Bob256

Bob256 Active Member

I am planning to redo my banister with Johnstone's Aqua Guard. Currently painted with Dulux water-based satin. This has had poor durability in areas that come into frequent contact with hands.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Water based alkyd are said to be the best for hands

6. Don1

Don1 New Member

Thank you all for your advice, it was varnished, lumpy and peeling was in a right state so rubbed back down to wood..I think I will try johnstone aquaguard instead. Do I have to use their undercoat too? I'm ashamed to admit I was recommended no nonsense undercoat & primer and was using that on skirting with johnstone interior wood &metal quick dry, but it dried too quickly and doesn't look as I want it to!:p P_20220119_143935.jpg

Wagner's excuse my ignorance but what is water based alkyd.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

@Don1, Google is your friend and wil show you all the Alkyd paints fit for your purpose.

8. Don1

Don1 New Member

Ummm so I 'Google' is Johnstone's AquaGuard an Alkyd paint and unfortunately it didn't give me a straight answer.. So is it?
    Ive watched so many YouTube video's and done lots of research as I like to try and do it myself, unless any of you live in Bedfordshire and can recommend a decorator. the last 'professional' guy came round looked quite young and had never heard of enamel in paint!! I don't want to admit I'm a damsel in distress but I am :)

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Johnstone aqua

This is mine and come off showing the aluminium primer under, because of skin oils. I heard they reformatted it because of the problem but I don't use any more.
    Your better with an alkyd like fastflow as I said.
    [​IMG]

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Look at using Crown Trade FastFlow Gloss you won't regret it.

11. Bob256

Bob256 Active Member

My understanding is that Aqua is an alkyd hybrid - somewhere between an alkyd and a water based. Aqua Guard is a newer formulation, which I believe is not alkyd at all but is meant to be more robust to hand oils.

12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Alkyd is mineral paint and water can be used as the delivery now. Hybrid is made from vegetable oils instead of mineral oils.
    It's complicated and can't say I fully grasp it as not a chemist.
    Many refer to some paints as hybrids when they are not.
    I don't know how much of an alkyd fastflow is or if aqua is in the alkyd category now if I'm honest.
    This is why some paints can't be used on kitchens doors as the cooking oils and hand oils effect them

Don1 likes this.
  13. Don1

Don1 New Member

The new Johnstone paint AquaGuard Satin is pure water based not hybrid and from the YouTube ive been watching its much better than Aqua water Based Satin!

It looked pretty resistant but did require Johnstones Aqua Undercoat for the best result.

Soooo should I use Crown Fast flow knowing its an Alkyd or how do i find out if Johnstones AquaGuard is an Alkyd.. Maybe I should call them tomorrow..

Thanks again :)

14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Read the data sheet for product. That will tell you maybe but I think it's just a clone of the American stuff.
    Dulux do scuff shield I think it's called. Not seen a crown version yet but it will come.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    Don1 likes this.
  15. Don1

Don1 New Member

Well Ive gone for it, bought Johnstones Aqua Guard undercoat and paint, going to start tomorrow, thanks Bob256 and Astramax on your thought of where to start first, I asked on anthony2021 post!

I'm going to decide tomorrow, I'm left handed so do everything differently anyway..:p..

Ill report back on how it goes...wish me luck!!!

Thanks again all of you